Friday, November 02, 2007

TFS 2008 Early adoption

I would like to a minute and record some of the effort (or lack thereof) of converting to TFS 2008 and TeamBuild (code named Orcas) from TFS 2005 no TeamBuild (Whidbey).

The guys at Microsoft have done an excellent job with this next release! Normally I am one of their biggest critics as they normally don't do things my way :). However, I have been a fan of the Team Foundation Server source control and project management suite since I was forced to migrate to it (instead of Subversion as I had planned). Understandably TFS 2005 had some growing problems as all new implementations are plagued with. I don't have to mention the installation as the first and foremost issue that most of us that had to administrate the system ran into. We ran into a few other issues, but for the most part TFS ran fine and the issues could be jotted down to our own growing pains.

So I would like to put my voice with the others who are blogging on how different TFS 2008 is than TFS 2005, and say that the setup is awesome! Well, at least a considerable jump from where it was originally. Hopefully the TAP program participants were able to sort out most of the more sinister setup issues, but it works like you would expect. Set the initial settings and click next and then come back a few hours later (depending on data size) and click Finish. Excellent!!!

We have been running 2008 server (with VS 2005 client) for a couple of months now with few interruptions. As an SCM, TFS is sure coming along nicely.

No comments: